Your Rights

Victim's Bill of Rights

Victims of many types of crimes have rights and responsibilities under a Georgia law (O.C.G.A. 17-17-1) called the Victims’ Bill of Rights. The following explains some of your rights.



  •      Arrest of the accused.
  •      Availability of victim service programs.
  •      Availability of compensation for victim’s of violent crime.
  •      Any court hearings where release of the accused will be considered.
  •      Release of the accused.
  •      Court proceedings during prosecution of the case.
  •      Motion for new trial or appeal dates.
  •      Change of status of the defendant, if you request this in writing.


  •      Express your opinion on the release of the accused pending court proceedings.
  •      Express your views on the outcome of the case prior to plea negotiations or sentencing of the accused.
  •      Complete a Victim Impact Statement.


If you are threatened or intimidated by the offender, please immediately contact the police to make a report. For immediate assistance, dial 911.


In order for you to be notified of various proceedings, you must provide law enforcement with your address, home and work phone numbers (not pagers or cellular phones).

If your phone number changes from the number you first gave police, you must notify the investigating law enforcement agency at their listed number, Victim Assistance, the Lowndes County District Attorney’s Office (229)244-7170, and/or the Lowndes County State Court Solicitor’s Office (229)671-2510. If there is an arrest, you can be informed of criminal proceedings.

If the defendant (accused) is convicted and sent to prison and you want to be notified of parole or want to express your opinions prior to a parole decision, you must write the Board of Pardons and Parole in Atlanta. Also, if the defendant is sentenced to prison and you want to know of any changed in his/her status while in prison (such as furlough, work release, escape), send a letter to the Department of Corrections in Atlanta. The Victim Assistance Program can assist you with any of this communication.

Financial Compensation

If you are the victim of a violent (not property) crime, you may be eligible for victim compensation. You must file a completed application within one year after the date of the crime. Victims of crimes that occurred before July 1, 1997 have only 180 days from the date of the crime to submit an application. There does not have to be an arrest in order to apply.

Compensation can help with out-of-pocket expenses not covered by insurance, Medicaid, worker’s compensation, etc. Eligible expenses include medical, counseling, funeral and lost wages. The Victim Assistance Program has compensation applications and can help you apply. Call 1-800-241-7827.


Many defendants (accused) are released on bond from jail before disposition of their case. Bond is guaranteed by the U.S. and Georgia Constitutions, except in certain cases.

Bond is money or property put up to ensure the defendant’s appearance in court. The Judge considers several issues in determining the bond amount of the accused: the possibility of fleeing, the threat of danger to the community, the risk of committing another crime and the possibility of threatening witnesses.

Many defendants will be immediately released because the amount of bond is pre-set. The defendant gets a bonding company or an individual to provide a cash or property bond. This may be done within hours of the defendant being arrested.

If the defendant has not made bond within 72 hours, most will appear before a Judge. At that time, a bond may be set and the defendant may be released. Usually, victims do not attend these first appearance hearings and will not be notified of them since they are routine in most cases. An exception occurs in stalking cases where the law requires that victims be notified before bond is set. It is the policy of most Judges to restrain defendants in domestic violence cases from having contact with alleged victims.

There are certain serious crimes in which a bond can only be set by a Superior Court Judge. These hearings are usually at a later time after notice to the District Attorney’s Office. The Victim Assistance Program will attempt to notify you prior to these bond proceedings.

If the accused is a juvenile (under 17), the proceedings are different. Call the Lowndes County Juvenile Court (229) 333-5252


The Victim Assistance Program in the Lowndes County District Attorney’s Office can inform you of your rights, assist you with any questions you may have or refer you to the appropriate agency for help. The hours are 8:30 AM until 5:00 PM, Monday-Friday. The services are free.

bullet      Victim Assistance Program 1-800-241-7827
bullet      Rape Crisis (229) -244-1765
bullet      The Haven Shelter (a shelter for abused and battered women and their children) (229) 244-1765
bullet      Legal Services (civil only) (912) 241-0737
bullet      Lowndes County Magistrate Court (229) 333-5112
bullet      Lowndes County Sheriff’s Office (912) 333-5133
bullet      Hahira Police Department (912) 794-2440
bullet      Lowndes County District Attorney’s Office (229) 244-7170
bullet      Lowndes County State Court Solicitor’s Office (912) 671-2510
bullet      Lowndes County Department of Family & Children Services (229)333-5200


ARREST: A warrant is a document, issued by the Judge, giving police the authority to arrest the accused. Victims may be required to obtain a copy of the police report and go to the County Courthouse for a warrant. If bond can be set and accused is able to pay, he/she will be released from jail.

PRELIMINARY HEARING: (Felony cases only) After an arrest, a preliminary hearing may be held. Witnesses and/or police officers are usually subpoenaed to appear at this hearing. At that time, the Magistrate Court Judge listens to the testimony to determine whether there is probable cause for the case to go to a higher court, i.e. State or Superior Court.

GRAND JURY: (Felony cases only) The 23 citizens on the Grand Jury, hear testimony and review evidence relating to the crime. They determine whether there is sufficient evidence to bring an indictment. If an indictment is returned (True Bill) the case goes to the Superior Court for trial. If the Grand Jury decides not to return an indictment the case is no billed. This hearing is done in private. Neither the defendant not his/her attorney is present.

ARRAIGNMENT: Once a defendant has been formally charged (by indictment or accusation) with the crime, the defendant answers to the charges in Superior Court. This hearing is referred to as an arraignment, at which time the defendant may enter a plea of "guilty" or "not guilty" in open court. You may attend, although it is not necessary for you to be present.

PLEA: A defendant may plead guilty to the charge anytime after arrest. If he/she chooses to plead guilty, a plea hearing is held. The Judge may sentence him/her then or at a later date.

JURY TRIAL: A Jury Trial of twelve (12) citizens listens to testimony and determines whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty. All 12 must agree beyond a reasonable doubt for there to be a conviction. Witnesses are subpoenaed to jury trials. The Judge may sentence immediately after conviction or may order a PSI (pre-sentencing investigation).

Back to the Top of this page

   chief_3.jpg (13215 bytes)

Dear Citizens:

Citizens in our community often suffer the devastating effects of violent crime. In spite of our continuing effort to eliminate violent crime in our community, this effort will never be completely successful. As a result, innocent people will continue to be preyed upon by those who have no respect for law, life or property. The Crime Victim Compensation Program is designed to allow victims and their families to receive financial aid for expenses which result from violent crimes.

Physical injury, emotional and mental trauma and financial burdens maybe suffered by the victims of violent crimes. The added worry over medical bills and loss work time add insult to injury. It is true that no amount of compensation can erase the memories of a violent crime; however, I hope that this program will in some way ease the burdens of the innocent victims of violent crime.

Hopefully, this information can help you or someone you know.


Terry Davis

Chief of Police
Hahira, Georgia



The State of Georgia has a program to assist you with crime related expenses if you are a victim of a violent crime. It can help compensate victims for medical costs, counseling, lost wages, funeral expenses and various other costs.

However, we are payers of last resort.

Please review the details in this brochure to see if you should apply for compensation.


Victims who have been physically injured in a violent crime. Including but not limited to victims of:

bullet      Homicide
bullet      Sexual assault
bullet      Child abuse
bullet      Person incurring eligible expenses due to crime
bullet      Domestic/Family Violence Victim
bullet      DUI Crash Victim


bullet      Victims of property crimes
bullet      Victims who consent, provoke or incite the crime against them
bullet      Victims who were participating in a criminal act
bullet      Victims who do not report the crime to law enforcement officials within 72 hours.


You are eligible for the following categories of compensation only if they are not covered by another source:

bullet      Medical Expenses
bullet      Counseling Expenses
bullet      Funeral Expenses
bullet      Economic Loss



1. Medical Expense $5,000
2. Counseling Expense $2,500
3. Funeral Expense $3,000
4. Economic Loss $5,000


bullet      Yes. Compensation cannot be paid for stolen, damaged, or lost property.
bullet      Compensation is not paid for costs payable by other sources such as health insurance, car insurance, sick leave pay, disability insurance, worker’s compensation, unemployment              compensation or funds from other government agencies.


bullet      You must report the crime to law enforcement, within 72 hours, unless there is valid reason for reporting the crime at a later date.
bullet      You must file a complete application packet with the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council within 1 year of the date of the crime (with some exceptions).
bullet      You must cooperate with law enforcement officials in their investigation and prosecution.


You must file an application for assistance with the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council.

An application will be sent to you when you call the  Victims Assistance Program at (229) 244-7170 or 1 (800) 241-7827.

You do not need an attorney to file an application.

Back to the Top of this page

Last modified: 03/08/13

Golf Cart Ordinance



BE IT ORDAINED by the Mayor and Council of the City of Hahira, Georgia, and it is hereby ordained by authority of same, as follows:

Adding the following Sections hereby amends Chapter 9 Motor Vehicles and Traffic. 

Section 9 - 6. Purpose and Intent.

The purpose of this Ordinance is to protect, maintain, and enhance health, safety and general welfare of present and future citizens of the City.

It has come to the attention of Mayor and Council that the use of motorized carts on city streets creates a potential traffic hazard for other vehicular traffic as well as a danger to the occupants of motorized carts.

Therefore, the intent of this Ordinance is to regulate the use of motorized carts within the corporate limits of the City of Hahira as authorized by O.C.G.A. 40-6-331. 

Section 9 - 7. Definitions.

Motorized Carts Electric and gasoline - powered pleasure carts, commonly known as golf carts. These carts have not less than three (3) wheels and cannot be operated typically at more than twenty (20) miles per hour.



Section 9 - 8. Operations & Limitations.

Motorized Carts may be operated within the corporate limits of Hahira by:

  1. Those persons who are 16 years of age and older and have a valid motor vehicle drivers license, or;
  2. Those persons who are 15 years of age, but not yet 16 years of age, if accompanied in the front seat by a person at least 18 years of age who holds a valid motor vehicle drivers license, or;

C. No person under the age of 15 years of age shall be permitted to operate a motorized cart on any public street within the corporate limits of the City of Hahira.

D. All operators of Motorized Carts shall abide by all traffic regulations applicable to vehicular traffic.

E. Motorized Carts shall not be operated on sidewalks or in City parks other than in parking areas. 

F. Motorized Carts shall be operated during daylight hours only except if such carts are equipped with functional headlights and taillights.

G. Motorized Carts may not traverse streets and highways under the jurisdiction of the Georgia Department of Transportation. Motorized Carts may cross these streets to access other streets at street intersections only. The specific streets and highways referenced include North Church Street, South Church Street, East Main Street and West Main Street throughout the corporate limits of the City.


Section 9 - 9. Registration.

Before any Motorized Cart may be operated within the corporate limits of Hahira, the cart must be registered and receive a decal from the City Clerk signifying its registration. A person desiring to register a Motorized Cart shall bring documentation setting forth a description of said cart to the City Clerk’s office and complete an application for registration of said cart. Upon registration, the Clerk shall issue a decal to be applied to the rear of such cart so as to be plainly visible. There shall be a fee of twenty (25) five dollars for such registration. The decal, issued, shall be non-transferable from the cart for which it is issued. The registration shall be effective until such time as the Cart is sold. New owners must register a cart within ten (10) business days within change of ownership at a cost of ten (10) dollars. If the registration is not transferred within ten (10) business days, a twenty (20) dollar penalty will be applied in addition to the ten (10) dollar transfer charge.

Before any Motorized Cart may be operated within the corporate limits of Hahira, the cart must have affixed thereto an emblem as required by O.C.G.A. 40-8-4. The emblem shall conform with those standards and specifications adopted for slow-moving vehicles by the American Society of Agricultural Engineers in December 1966, and contained within such Society’s standard ASAE S276.1, or shall be an emblem of the same shape and size painted on such vehicle in a bright and conspicuous retro-reflective red-orange paint. Such emblem shall be mounted on the rear of such vehicles, in the approximate horizontal geometric center of the vehicle, at a height of three (3) to five (5) feet above the roadway, and shall be maintained at all times in a clean and reflective condition.

Section 9 - 10. Liability Insurance Coverage.

Each person operating a Motorized Cart is liable for his or her own actions. Liability insurance coverage varies and each person operating a Motorized Cart should verify his or her coverage.

Section 9 - 11. Exception.

1. Nothing in this Ordinance shall apply to any self-propelled, two-wheeled vehicle.

2. Nothing in this Ordinance shall apply to motorized carts operated by the City of Hahira.

Section 9 – 11. Enforcement.

The Hahira Police Department shall be charged with enforcement of this Ordinance.

Section 9 – 12. Penalty.

Any person violating any provision of this Ordinance shall be punished by a fine for the first offense of not less than twenty ($25.00) five dollars. For the second offense, fifty ($50.00) dollars. If a third offense is committed within one (1) year of conviction of a second offense, the minimum fine shall be one ($100.00) hundred dollars and the owner’s registration shall be revoked. If a registration is revoked, the owner shall pay a re-registration fee of two ($200.00) hundred dollars. The registered owner or family member cannot thereafter register a Motorized Cart for use in the City for a period of two (2) years following a third conviction.

Section 9 - 13. Effective Date.

This Ordinance shall become effective immediately upon the City of Hahira receiving supplies for registration of Carts, but no later than thirty (30) days from passage.

Adopted by unanimous vote of City Council in the regular meeting held May 2nd, 2002.


Myron Crowe, Mayor


Wayne Bullard, Mayor Pro-Tem