What is the address of the Hahira Police Department?

The Hahira Police Department is located at 815 Tillman Street and the mailing address is:

Hahira Police Department
815 Tillman Street
Hahira, GA 31632
Phone, 229-794-2440
Fax,     229-794-9310


If you are traveling North on GA-7, County Rd.--- (Old 41), you will pass North Lowndes Hardward, turn left onto Coleman Street and make an immeidate left onto Tillman.  The Hahira Police Department and Courts will be near the end of the road on the left. 
If you are traveling South on GA-7 (US41), you will continue through the red light at Main Street and Church Street.  When you get to the first curve, you will make a right onto Tillman in the curve, following to the end of the road where the Police Department and Court is on your left.
If you are traveling East on GA-122, turn right at the traffic light and follow the southbound directions. 
If you are traveling West on GA-122 turn left at the traffic light and follow the southbound directions.


Where will I report for court on a citation written by the Hahira Police Department?

The Recorder’s Court of Hahira is held in the courthouse located at 815 Tillman Street.

How do I dispose of a citation (ticket)?

  1. Located on the bottom portion of your citation is an  ARRAIGNMENT date.  If you wish to plead Not Guilty you may appear in court on this date, plead Not Guilty and request a trial date.
  2. If you do not wish to appear in court or contest your citation, you must post a cash bond with the clerk of court no later than the day before your arraignment date.
  3. For Bond amount inquires: Write or call.
  4. Hahira Police Department
  5. 815 Tillman Street
  6. Hahira, GA 31632
  7. Phone, 229-794-2440 press option 1
  8. Hours 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
  9. Monday - Friday
  10. All mailed bonds must be in the form of a cashier's check or money order, payable to the city of Hahira and mailed to the above address.  All mailed bonds must reach the clerk of court's office before your arraignment date.
  11. Do not send personal checks.  They will be returned to you.
  12. If posting a cash bond in person, please bring the exact amount.
  13. Please include the citation number on your money order or cashier's check.  This number is in the top right hand corner of your citation.
  14. Please include a self addressed stamped envelope if you wish to receive a receipt. 
  15.  Visa and MasterCard are also accepted for payment of fines, bonds or other services.  If paying by telephone a $5.00 additional fee will be charged. 

How do I know how much the fine will be?

The Recorder’s Court of Hahira sets Bond or fine amounts. The issuing officer can not adjust the fine when the citation is issued. Information about the amount of bond required for your violation may be obtained by calling 229-794-2440. All fines must be paid in cash, money order or cashier’s check.

How do I file a police report?

If your situation is an EMERGENCY immediately dial 911 and an officer will be dispatched.  A non-emergency report should be made to 229-245-5270, if the incident occurred in the City of Hahira.  Reports can be made by having an officer come to you, or by you coming to the police department.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Incident and accident reports are available from the HPD Records Department, located at 815 Tillman Street, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

How do I obtain a release if my vehicle was impounded?

If it is necessary to impound a person’s vehicle, the officer will normally provide the name of the wrecker service which towed the vehicle. The officer who had the vehicle towed will explain any special conditions, which must be met for release of the vehicle. Normally you must show:

  1. a valid drivers license
  2. a valid insurance card or other proof of insurance
  3. Proof of ownership such as a title, tag receipt or notarized bill of sale.

(Note) If there is a hold on the vehicle, it will not be released until you speak with the officer or department who placed the hold.

Where do I apply for a Georgia Driver’s License?

You may obtain a Georgia driver’s license from any Georgia State Patrol post. The Georgia State Patrol issues driver’s license in Valdosta Tuesday through Friday  from 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. at the Driver’s License office which is located at 371 Gil Harbin Blvd. Valdosta, GA. For information call any Patrol post or the Valdosta driver’s license office at 229-333-5385. Cash only no checks will be accepted. 

Where do I get a driver’s handbook?

You may obtain a driver’s handbook from any Georgia State Patrol post or from the Lowndes County  County Post located at 371 Gil Harbin Blvd. Valdosta, GA.

I just moved here from another state, how long do I have to obtain a Georgia Driver’s License?

Any person who is a resident of this state for 30 days shall obtain a Georgia Driver’s License before operating a motor vehicle in this state.

O.C.G.A. 40-5-20

How does my child take an Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program course?

A.D.A.P. (Alcohol & Drug Awareness Program) is normally taught in the school systems throughout     Georgia. In most cases, it is taught in the 9th grade in conjunction with the Health class. Students that expect to get their driver’s license prior to age 18 must successfully complete this four-hour program. For students that do not receive this course through their school system, the course is offered statewide at different locations each month throughout the year. This is known as the A.D.A.P. makeup. The dates and times vary from place to place and from month to month. To obtain information about the nearest A.D.A.P. makeup you can call 1-800-245-4410, or visit the web site: www.ganet.org/dps

Where can I renew my commercial driver’s license?

You can renew your commercial driver’s license at any driver’s license office. However, if you need to obtain a commercial driver’s license, you will need to complete this procedure at a Georgia State Patrol post

I have just moved to Georgia from another state. What documents will I need to obtain a Georgia Driver’s License.

This information may be obtained from the Georgia Department of Public Safety by contacting any Georgia State Patrol Post, or visit the web site: www.ganet.org/dps

I am a new resident. How long do I have before I am required to purchase a Georgia License Plate?

Any person owning or operating a motor vehicle on any public street or highway shall register his or her vehicle within 30 days after becoming a resident of Georgia. O.C.G.A. 40-2-8

Does Georgia require a special license for a motorcycle?

Yes. A person operating a motorcycle in the state of Georgia must have a class "M" license. 

Does Georgia require motorcycle operators to wear a helmet?


Is it unlawful to ride in the back of a truck?

It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 to ride as a passenger in the uncovered bed of a pickup truck on any interstate highway in this state. O.C.G.A. 40-8-79

What is the law in Georgia concerning Child Safety Seats?

Every driver who transports a child four years of age or younger in a passenger automobile, van, or pickup truck, other than a taxicab as defined by O.C.G.A. 40-9-101 or a public transit vehicle as defined by O.C.G.A. 16-5-20, shall while such motor vehicle is in motion and operated on a public road, street, or highway of this state, provide for the protection of such child in a child passenger restraining system approved by the U.S.D.O.T. under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213. 

What is the law in Georgia concerning safety belts?

The driver and each occupant of the front seat of a passenger vehicle shall, while such passenger vehicle is being operated on a public road, street or highway of this state, be restrained by a seat safety belt approved under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208. Provided that the term "passenger vehicle" includes pickup trucks for any occupant who is under 18 years of age. Each minor over four years of age who is an occupant of a passenger vehicle shall, while such passenger vehicle is being operated on a public road, street, or highway of this state, be restrained by a seat safety belt approved under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208.

What is the Georgia Law concerning the purchase of alcoholic beverages?

No person knowingly, directly or through another person, shall furnish, cause to be furnished, or permit any person in such person’s employ to furnish any alcoholic beverage to any person under 21 years of age; No person under 21 years of age shall purchase, attempt to purchase, or knowingly possess any alcoholic beverages; No person under 21 years of age shall misrepresent such person’s age in any manner whatever for the purpose of obtaining illegally any alcoholic beverage; No person knowingly or intentionally shall act as an agent to purchase or acquire any alcoholic beverage for or on behalf of a person under 21 years of age; or No person under 21 years of age shall misrepresent his or her identity or use any false identification for the purpose of purchasing or obtaining any alcoholic beverage. O.C.G.A. 3-3-23 

What is the Georgia Law regulating the sales and serving of alcoholic beverages?

No person shall allow or require a person in his employment under 18 years of age to dispense, serve, sell or take orders for any alcoholic beverages. This Code section shall not prohibit persons under 18 years of age who are employed in supermarkets, convenience stores, breweries, or drugstores from selling or handling alcoholic beverages which are sold for consumption off the premises. O.C.G.A. 3-3-24  

What can I do about a vehicle, which has been abandoned, on my property?

The Hahira Police Department can only tow abandoned vehicles from public property. If you have an abandoned vehicle on your property, you should make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner. If you can not locate the owner, call the non-emergency number and request an officer. The officer will check the vehicle to determine if it is stolen. If the vehicle is not stolen, you can call the wrecker service of your choice and have it towed. The charge for towing the vehicle is normally obtained by the wrecker service when the owner comes to claim the vehicle. However, you should discuss this matter up front with the wrecker service.

How do I get my animal out of the Pound?

You will need to contact the animal control officer at 337 Gil Harbin Blvd, Valdosta, GA or phone 229-245-5253. The animal control officer works Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. 

How do I get someone out of jail?

The person arrested must complete the booking procedures before they can be released. Part of this booking procedure is the establishing of a bond. On traffic charges, this bond will usually be the amount of the traffic fine, if posted in cash. If a property bond is posted on a traffic case it will be double the cash fine amount. There are three accepted method of producing bond: 

  1. Cash Bond - American currency, cashier’s check or US Postal money order.

  2. Professional Bonding Company – The list of approved bonding companies is displayed in the secretary’s office of the Hahira Police Department and in the booking area of the Lowndes County Jail. We are not allowed to recommend a bonding company. You may call the bonding company and they will advise you of their procedures and fees.

Property Bond – Property bonds may be signed by persons who own their own property in Lowndes County. In order to sign a property bond you property must be listed on the property books at the Lowndes County Tax Office. In the event the property is in more that one persons name, then all parties listed on the tax book must sign the bond. The sheriff of the county where the property is located must approve property bonds from other counties before the bond can be accepted.